Top Ten Tuesday: August 12, 2014

toptentuesday

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme host by The Broke and the Bookish. This week’s topic is Top Ten books I’m not sure I want to read!

Katie

1. Bumped by Megan McCafferty – I read and loved McCafferty’s other series Jessica Darling (Sloppy Firsts). I’ve had Bumped on my TBR and my shelf for some time now but I’ve never heard anyone say anything positive about this book. Still undecided about reading this one.
  2. The Death Cure by James Dashner – I read The Maze Runner and The Scorch Trials about 2 years ago and I haven’t gotten around to The Death Cure. I wasn’t in love with the first two books and I have heard the last book isn’t even that good. I feel like I will read this eventually but not in any kind of rush.
  3. The Casual Vacancy by JK Rowling – I picked this up on release day and managed to read up to about 50%. It’s not that I wasn’t enjoying it but it wasn’t what I was expecting. I put it on hold and have never got around to picking it back up.
  4. Beautiful Darkness, Beautiful Chaos, Beautiful Redemption by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl – I read book 1 and thought it was OK, nothing amazing but nothing to complain about. I like to think I will pick these up since I hear the series gets really good but book 2 is also a drag. I just have to be prepared.
  5. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn – I’ve wanted to read this book for some time now and I’ve gotten it from the library 3 different times but never been able to start it. I think when I’m finally put into a time crunch to read before the movie I might be able to defeat it otherwise I may never know the ending.

Kylie

1. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson – This is a book that sits on my shelf and burns a hole right through me. I’ve picked it up and put it down more times than I can count and it makes me sad. BUT the style and writing just goes way over my head. Heavy YA reading will do that I guess…
  2. Marked by P.C. Cast and Kristin Cast – I have a couple of these books in the A House of Night series, but I’ve heard nothing but bad things from friends. It kind of worries me and I want to just follow through and make my own opinion, but at the same time I’m like, eh.
  3. Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead – Please don’t hurt me… I just, I don’t know. I will read this series someday I double pinky swear, but I just don’t have the motivation to. Partly because I liked the movie, but I also thought the concept was blah. If that makes sense. I guess I just need to be in the mood for vampires lately. Since True Blood is ending (*sniff sniff*) this year maybe I’ll have a vamp craving.
  4. The Death Cure by James Dashner – I’m with Katie on this one. But I absolutely loved The Maze Runner, however I’m not so keen on The Scorch Trials even though I haven’t finished it. Plus I saw a spoiler about my fave character and it made me mad. So there’s that. I will finish the series eventually.
  5. Where She Went by Gayle Forman – I really enjoyed If I Stay, but I don’t know. There’s just nothing compelling about this one. I was fine with the ending of If I Stay. But I will read it. It’s on my YallFest TBR list after all.
Advertisements

10 thoughts on “Top Ten Tuesday: August 12, 2014

1. Jillyn says:

Kylie, I positively loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but I haven’t read the rest in the series. However, it is pretty long book and I definitely had to switch from “YA” to “Adult fiction” mode while reading it. And Marked…. Eh. I’ve read the first three or four in the series, I think. They’re easy to read and are kind of just exactly what they sound like. They held my interest and entertained me, but I think they were mostly 3 stars from me. Nothing to write home about, in my humble opinion.

Katie, I completely agree about the Beautiful Creatures series. I wanted SO HARD to love book one, and I want to re-read it and continue the series. But I feel like this book was one of those times where I was reading a different book than everyone else. I want to join the fans who love it but I just can’t force myself to read the series. Maybe one day.

• The Polished Page-Turner says:

Yes! I am glad someone else gets what I am feeling about Beautiful Creatures. I think I will re-read book 1 and marathon the whole series one day. I think I have to go into it expecting not to be in love with it the way so many people do.

Also I totally love The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and I read book 2. I still haven’t gotten to book 3..maybe I should have put that on the list too!

2. ChrissiReads says:

I absolutely loved Gone Girl, but I know it’s one you either love or hate. The ending is certainly interesting…I’ve read The Casual Vacancy, but I think I had too high expectations.

3. Andi ABCs says:

Okay so I totally enjoyed Bumped Katie. It was different but I was intrigued by it because of that. It definitely is weird, but also fascinating. And you really should try Gone Girl. Even my friend that is a non-reader read it and really got sucked in.

And Kylie, Where She Went was really good. Actually I may have even liked it more than If I Stay, I read it in a whole night and just bought my own copy so I can read it again after seeing If I Stay. You should definitely give it a change.

Great list guys!

• The Polished Page-Turner says:

OK, you have convinced me not to get rid of Bumped! It seems very different and I could love it, I do love Megan’s writing. I want to get to Gone Girl! Maybe I need to buy it instead of checking it out from the library. I just really need to know the ending that everyone keeps talking about.

4. Jessica (MsBooklover89) says:

Katie: It took me awhile to get into Gone Girl. Well – I kept trying to read the first chapter and getting into it but was having trouble – finally I pushed through the first chapter and immediately started enjoying it and getting into it Chapter 2! It was a pretty good overall – definitely read it before the movie – that was a good reading experience!!

Kylie: I read Marked and it was okay. like a 3 star. Very young read. But it wasn’t enough for me to continue with the series especially knowing its a long series and people say it just gets worse the more you read. And I didn’t care enough to continue – but I’m sure some people love it so you should see if you like it! — I really enjoyed the Vampire Academy series (not as much as others) but I really liked it – it was a fun read! The main character is kick-ass and I like the boarding school esque setting!! And Where She Went. On the whole, I thought the duology was fairly good but I like her Just One Day duology better. Where She Went takes place 3 years later and is in Adam’s perspective and it’s mostly about what he’s doing with his life in NY and his band. So while it’s a sequel – it also read as a stand alone and concludes the dulogy – definitely read it! 🙂

5. Charlotte @ Books and Baby etc. says:

I really loved The Casual Vacancy but I have seen it on almost every list today! I can’t believe so many people are unsure about it. I guess if you read half though that is enough to know if you like it or not! Maybe wait for the TV adaptation?

Gone Girl is such a strange book. The characters are both idiots and the ending is stupid but its SO GOOD! I was absolutely hooked. I don’t know how she managed to pull off a book with such disagreeable characters!

Girl with the Dragon Tattoo is brilliant. I’d definitely say give it another chance.